Boxes LoversBoxes LoversDo you love figures boxes? Join in!

crocatoot
Regular Boarder

crocatoot

オンライン いいえ
レベル 15
登録日 4年前
レス数 395
居住地 Canada

4年前
i keep the boxes on on the valuable, fragile, big or rare figures, or if the box looks kinda nice/has a use (for holding other stuff)

i know its a thing almost all collectors do but why? and dont say "its part of the figure" cause it kinda isnt

and value is not a good reason because they only retain value because people keep them

Reinier
Regular Boarder

Reinier

オンライン いいえ
レベル 21
登録日 7年前
レス数 497
居住地 Miami, Fl...

4年前
crocatoot (4年前)i keep the boxes on on the valuable, fragile, big or rare figures, or if the box looks kinda nice/has a use (for holding other stuff)

i know its a thing almost all collectors do but why? and dont say "its part of the figure" cause it kinda isnt

and value is not a good reason because they only retain value because people keep them

I keep all my boxes because its the best place to store figures when im moving to another place since its specifically made for the figure. Its also good to keep the boxes because you never know if in the future you will want to sell the figure or give it to someone else and having the box adds value to the figure.
http://i54.tinypic.com/ehf5gh.gif
♥ Holo ♥

crocatoot
Regular Boarder

crocatoot

オンライン いいえ
レベル 15
登録日 4年前
レス数 395
居住地 Canada

4年前
yes but having the box adds value to the figure because people want the box, its a paradox

Katto
SHSL Magical Girl
Administrator + Super High School Level

Katto

オンライン いいえ
レベル 29
登録日 5年前
レス数 1324
居住地 Melbourne...

4年前
It is a part of the collectable - so yes, it actually is part of the figure's value. If you collect anything, you want it in as close to perfect condition as possible. This includes having the box, since that is part of the original item.

Any disc media is good example of this, I don't think anyone who collects an item would want to buy a piece that can be damaged easily without its original packaging.
http://media.tumblr.com/7d601def965bf263c09d71a0ba08d16d/tumblr_inline_mppd2cfU0k1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/b9718baf802c5b0076333e0afc31214c/tumblr_inline_mppd2g9rzN1s0iq8v.gifhttp://media.tumblr.com/f977dc76a89e38ec46ad536f56a43b94/tumblr_inline_mppdqnZXNe1s0iq8v.gif
Welcome to Despair~
更新 4年前 #1392649

Joichi
Regular Boarder

Joichi

オンライン いいえ
レベル 19
登録日 7年前
レス数 1835
居住地 Canada, T...

4年前
Yeah it's not about value but I got the same reasons as Reinier; since I have to move frequently; boxes are so important for figures safety. I'm glad I never discarded any of the major scaled-pvc boxes, everything would be scratched on a plane flight. If they start crowding, I can simply flatten my Nendoroid boxes. Also indeed, if I want to give my figures as a gift or resell; I prefer to have it really nicely packed in it's original box. Without the box, it gives this '2nd-hand' feeling if you give it to people straight.
My sites: sweetandcharmingart.etsy.com | joichii.tumblr.com
更新 4年前 #1396535

crocatoot
Regular Boarder

crocatoot

オンライン いいえ
レベル 15
登録日 4年前
レス数 395
居住地 Canada

4年前
i think it also depends on the type of figure the box came from, Action figure boxes (plastic with a cardboard back), solid plastic requires scissors (like the panty stocking minifigures), i would never keep boxes from these because the second you open them, the package is ruined.

to a certain extent i would say prize figures as well i wouldnt keep the box from many of them

statues and PVC or generally fragile figures i would easily see the merit in keeping the boxes

andypandy
Regular Boarder

andypandy

オンライン いいえ
レベル 16
登録日 4年前
レス数 22
居住地 Sweden

4年前
Boxes seem to be a big issue among collectors, since even a slightly dented or ripped box lowers the price of the figure dramatically. Almost like the box is more important than the contents. I don't quite get that, but an original box is always nice to have. Especially if it has artwork by someone like Mogudan or Yamashita.

crocatoot
Regular Boarder

crocatoot

オンライン いいえ
レベル 15
登録日 4年前
レス数 395
居住地 Canada

4年前
see, like i said there are certain circumstances in which keeping the box is ideal, bu if someone says "$50 with box $30-45 without" im gonna go without as long as its a standard box

minimonilee
Regular Boarder

minimonilee

オンライン いいえ
レベル 11
登録日 4年前
レス数 23
居住地 Deutschla...

4年前
I keep them because they are pretty :D Not only useful but also nice to look at^^ In my opinion boxes can even be considered as art *__* I even thought about getting a figure which is not a must have for me just because of it's beautiful box xD

ExcelCore
Regular Boarder

ExcelCore

オンライン いいえ
レベル 8
登録日 4年前
レス数 2

4年前
I keep my boxes because they are part of a whole. When I was a child I made the mistake of throwing away boxes (in order to save space) but as I grew older and finally became an adult I realized the errors of my ways. Not only had some of these boxes risen in monetary value (meaning I'd have to pay a LOT of money in order to complete my old toys/games) but many were practically impossible to get a hold of.

Why did I want those old boxes then? Why did I even miss them? Well... you know that feeling you get when you first see a toy/game in a store and you are attracted to it? And then that other feeling you got when you received a toy you wished for X-mas/ your birthday? Without the boxes something is missing from the whole experience! It doesn't matter how much you care for your collectables or how many you have on display. If you can't repackage them and admire them in their boxes as well, then they truly ain't like they used to be before. Without the boxes the collectables are BROKEN. Sure they are great nevertheless, but a collectable without it's box/instruction manual/extras is like a collectable that is missing say an arm or something.

So, I keep my boxes because of the feelings they inspire in me... because they are memorabilia and a direct link to that moment when you first got the collectable you desired and unwrapped it for the first time.

katsudon
Play-Along Tsukkomi
Regular Boarder

katsudon

オンライン いいえ
レベル 21
登録日 4年前
レス数 5
居住地 Texas

4年前
The main reason why I keep my boxes is that it makes moving them so much easier. That, and it's just nice to have the box of a figure, as I really don't see the point of throwing out the box you know?

This however leads to problem though, I have very limited space in my closet because of it. Have to start using the closet in the general living area. (Thankfully, my roommate doesn't mind)

angelbott
Regular Boarder

angelbott

オンライン はい
レベル 23
登録日 8年前
レス数 92
居住地 Alabama, ...

3年前
Katto (4年前) #1392649It is a part of the collectable - so yes, it actually is part of the figure's value. If you collect anything, you want it in as close to perfect condition as possible. This includes having the box, since that is part of the original item.

Any disc media is good example of this, I don't think anyone who collects an item would want to buy a piece that can be damaged easily without its original packaging.

I agree with this. xD
I love collect figures with their original boxes it is part together.. I like art on box...
I still keep boxes of items..because it's easy and where it from and something..

I was young kid I did little mistakes I threw some blind boxes because not room in space.. :T So I stopped threw to keep these boxes with figures or items..

V-Ism
Regular Boarder

V-Ism

オンライン いいえ
レベル 14
登録日 7年前
レス数 82
居住地 Los Angel...

2年前
I don't want them to get dusty. I've seen my friend's figures displayed and they are starting to get filthy. I also have nowhere to display them all so I keep them stored up.
http://myfigurecollection.net/profile/V-Ism/sign.png

Rikudou
Regular Boarder

Rikudou

オンライン いいえ
レベル 22
登録日 2年前
レス数 387
居住地 United Ki...

2年前
I keep the boxes because I like them and because it is easier to transport figures if I move.

welkinG
Regular Boarder

welkinG

オンライン いいえ
レベル 7
登録日 2年前
レス数 11
居住地 Germany

2年前
Rikudou (2年前) #2722550I keep the boxes because I like them and because it is easier to transport figures if I move.

pretty much this.
also, IF (not very likely, but IF) i want to sell them later on, they add value to the figure, as already mentioned here.

the only problem i'm running into a lot lately is, where do i store them now? since i'm running out of space xD

NMarra
Regular Boarder

NMarra

オンライン いいえ
レベル 7
登録日 2年前
レス数 14
居住地 USA

2年前
At the moment, it's because I don't currently have a display case for them. Most of them, though, are pretty nice to look at, and as others have said before, they're great to have on hand when it comes time to store or move them, since you don't have to worry about paint scuffs, damage, or missing parts. It's just a matter of finding a place to keep them. I've read that people like to store them in closets, under beds, etc., but I have some large storage tubs and some of those Sterilite plastic drawers so I may just keep them in there.

Arwen17
Regular Boarder

Arwen17

オンライン いいえ
レベル 17
登録日 3年前
レス数 23
居住地 Imladris

2年前
I don't keep my figures in their boxes, but I do have a hard time throwing out any boxes. I partly hang onto the boxes in case I ever want to resell and partly because the boxes are just damn pretty! If I had the space, I'd display the boxes too. But instead, the entire inside of a linen closet is carefully stacked up with boxes. XD

When I moved out of my mom's house a few years ago after I graduated college, I didn't have many figures or boxes since I'd never had an income. But I did throw out what few boxes I had because it made moving more difficult. Now that I've had a great income the past couple years, my figure and box collection has EXPLODED and I'm not sure what I'll do when it comes time to move lol. I'll throw out the boxes if I must, but I hope I won't have to. Because one day I might wake up and decide I really want to sell some figures and you can charge more if it's got a box.

I happily buy used figures that are in great condition but no box included, all the time because I love a discount and it doesn't allow me to store the box, aka I avoid the box storage problem altogether. XD

P.S. When I had to move my boxless figures a few years ago, I just used a lot of paper towels, tissues, and shoe boxes to protect them. I collect shoe boxes like a madwoman too because they're great for moving breakables.
更新 2年前 #3290588

上 ↑

議論に参加するためにクラブに参加しましょう。